Thursday, January 26, 2012

Gardenia in a hot dry climate?

Hi live in Dubai where it is sunny, hot and dry most of the time. I have bought some potted plants for my terrace once of which is a Gardenia. Since I have taken delivery of this plant it has proceeded to turn yellow and drop leaves. I've been keeping it moist however it is in full sun and enduring hot temps during the day (35c at this time of year). I was told when I bought it that it could take full sun and heat etc. It was repotted into a much larger pot with a drainage hole at the bottom and delivered to my home. Now I'm wondering if I was misled and that this plant actually needs filtered light and cooler temps. Is there any hope for my Gardenia ? Please help save a life !!!
Gardenia in a hot dry climate?
IT CANNOT TAKE FULL SUN WITH HEAT. KEEP IT IN THE SHADE, AND MAYBE IN EARLY SPRING PUT IT IN FULL SUN SO IT CAN FLOWER. ONCE IT HITS THE 80S in fahrenheit PUT IT IN SHADE AGAIN AND WATER WATER WATER.
Reply:I live in australia and gardenia generaly flower around christmas time (which is our summer) when the temp often hits 40c. I've never known them to grow very well in pots but they thrive in the ground and are a fairly hardy plant. Maybe try a miniature gardenia for a pot.

Try "yates.com.au" for very reliable gardening advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment