Thursday, January 26, 2012

New gardenia and turning leaves?

We just bought 3 small gardenia plants which are still in their original plastic pots. I have been keeping them in a small indoor greenhouse under florescent light during the colder/cloudy days and putting them outside on warmer days. The buds are developing well but the smaller leaves around the buds are light green while all the other larger ones are very dark green. I'm afraid they are turning yellow. What's causing this?



I used acidic fertilizer with tap water today, and will use distilled the rest of this week. The soil is well drained and moist... and the air humid. Am I doing something wrong?
New gardenia and turning leaves?
Probably too much water. There are many pre-mix fertilizers for gardenias that work well. This is a good time for fertilizing in my zone 9 location.
Reply:Maybe try epsom salt. I live in southeast texas and have a gardenia on the south side of house in a new pot and I recently sprinkled a tablespoon of epsom salt in the soil before it rained and it seems to be making a difference, but my leaves are still not as greeen as they were when I bought it. I've read that they are incredibly sensitive. It seems like you're doing everything right though.

*EDIT* Read the fifth paragraph.....http://www.briansgarden.com/2001/03/gard...

No comments:

Post a Comment