Friday, February 3, 2012

Azalea Question?

Hi. I have three azalea plants on the side of my house that I planted last year. They are just babies, well toddler plants now. They have new leaves on them and blooms which aren't open. When I purchased them last spring they were full of pretty white azaleas. Only one has opened about a month ago.

I live in Southeast Texas and the azaleas in this area are absolutely beautiful here and don't require a lot of maitenence.

How do I check the soil for acidity and what do I do if it is low. I have sprinkled some epsom salt a couple of times. I have given them any food.

Also my gardenia plant is not blooming either and has quite a few yellow leaves with the rest being light green. Is there a food that I can buy for both my gardenia and azalea plant?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Azalea Question?
Use "Miracid" by Miracle Gro

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-miracid-an...

Now with the blooms on is the perfect time to do so. It is specially made for acid loving plants. Sold at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and most garden centers. Even Ace Hardware carries it!

You can also buy a soil test kit but they are usually higher at the garden centers.

http://www.goestores.com/image.aspx?stor...

I live 18 miles from the Azalea Festival Of Missouri. One of the largest in the state.

http://www.fredericktownmissouri.net/

Ooops! I almost forgot it's good for the gardenia as well.
Reply:Feed them with a slow release fertiliser for acid loving plants. It may actually have 'For Azaelas" on the packet. The Gardenia will love that too. Also, you can mulch them with 'pine fines' . Acid loving plants really appreciate some of that around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment