Sunday, February 5, 2012

How far from fence can I plant my hedge?

Hi, I have an 8 metre fence that I want to cover up. I have purchased 18 Port Wine Magnolia shrubs that grow 2 metres wide and 4 metres tall. I plan to keep these as a 2 metre tall hedge.

- how far from the fence do I need to plant them and what distance apart? How deep should I let it grow - how wide does the garden bed need to be?



Also, if I want a gardenia augusta florida (grows 1m x 1m) hedge in front, again how far apart %26amp; how deep? Thanks
How far from fence can I plant my hedge?
If your plant has a 2 meter diameter divide by 2 to get 1 meter is how far from the center of the plant till they touch the fence. If this is a chain link fence or something open for air to go through 1 meter is just fine. If the fence is solid and there will be no circulation please add another 6 inches for air flow. Same with the smaller plant 1 meter divided by 2 is 1 and 1/2 ft. Crowding causes branches to die. I know you want it to be a hedge so plant a little closer between like plants letting it breath at the back between the differing plants. This breathing room will also give you a little room to work when pruning.

No comments:

Post a Comment